Tuesday 31 July 2012

Hi Diddly Dee, The Freelance Life For Me!

I did it. I went freelance professionally!  Fed up with the lack of time and focus having a full-time job left me for illustration and design projects I went and quit my job in the name of love (of drawing).


Exciting as this is, I must also stress how... stressful it is.  I, luckily, found part-time work at a bar in my first week so at least the bills will be paid, but living in Brighton provides more than its fair share of expensive distractions; it's a daily challenge to not spend my days in coffee shops and buying art supplies.  The summer helps by adding more equal opportunity distractions such as the beach (yay!).  But I'm not complaining, I just have to learn some self-discipline!


I've tasked myself with increasing and improving my portfolio first with a new website in the pipeline too.  The biggest challenge right now is to get out of the mindset that working involves being sat a computer all day and freeing up the A-roads from my imagination to my drawing hand.  I've started with some portraits but my sketchbook is filling up nicely with all sorts, from typography to characters to patterns.  


I'm loving having the time to work on ideas and have also decided to offer social media consultation as part of my skill set, having come from a varied marketing background and established myself as a social media expert in my previous full-time role, it seems a natural step and it's something I really enjoy.


I'll leave you with one of my recent sketches which I plan to develop further so here's an exclusive guys!


Patti Smith, the 'Godmother of Punk'

No comments:

Post a Comment